Sen. Lamar Alexander’s (R-Tennessee) chief of staff, Ryan Loskarn, has been placed on leave without pay over allegations involving child pornography. Another “family values” guy bites the dust.
Tennessee Tea Party/conservative groups sent a Tony Soprano-style letter to Sen. Lamar Alexander telling him to retire or be primaried for the unpardonable sins of — gasp — compromise and bipartisanship.
The letter states: “Unfortunately our great nation can no longer afford compromise and bipartisanship, two traits for which you have become famous.” Sounds like something Lenin or Stalin would have said before having some poor bastard shot.
Alexander is a very conservative Republican, he’s no RINO, he’s no Rockefeller Republican. Anyone to his right would have to be way past Conservative Street and far along Crazy Avenue.
Some Tennessee state legislators freaked out about a new floor-level sink in a men’s room at the Capitol. They thought it was — oh the horror — so that Muslims could wash their feet before prayer.
Actually, the sink is so that custodial staff can wash their mops and fill their buckets more easily.
As you’d expect of a GOP congressman from Tennessee, Scott Des Jarlais is staunchly anti-abortion.
He’s also just about the biggest hypocrite you’ll find anywhere.
While married to his first wife, Des Jarlais, a physician, had affairs with two of his patients, three of his co-workers, and a saleswoman for a drug company. When one of the patient mistresses told him she was pregnant, he aggressively pushed her to have an abortion, and there’s a recorded phone call of that conversation.
His first wife also had two abortions during their marriage with his full support.
Despite all the icky revelations, Des Jarlais has no plans to resign.
And in Arlington, VA, Gen. David Petraeus is thinking, “WTF?”
It’s not just Huma Abedin coming under attack by the batshit wing of the GOP.
In Tennessee, Republican Governor Bill Haslam is under siege by the crazies in his party for appointing Samar Ali to be international director of Tennessee’s Department of Economic and Community Development.
Ali, who grew up in Tennessee as the daughter of two Arab Muslim doctors, is a graduate of Vanderbilt University (where she was president of the student body) and Vanderbilt Law, worked in private law practice, and was a White House Fellow.
No one is questioning her qualifications for the job, they are questioning her loyalty to the United States!
This garbage is coming from the same source as the Huma Abedin attacks — ultra-right fringe character Frank Gaffney and his Center for Security Policy.
The latest from Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight:
Mitt has a 64% chance of winning Ohio, with a 36% chance for Santorum.
Santorum has a 58% chance of winning Tennessee, with a 38% chance for Mitt.
Santorum has a 93% chance of winning Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain…). Oklahoma actually is under a wind advisory today.