Does Sen. Barrasso Live on Brokeback Mountain?

Gay blogger Mark Rogers claims that ultra-conservative GOP Sen. John Barrasso of Wyoming (where Brokeback Mountain is set) is also gay.  Rogers outs gay politicians whom he believes are hypocrites in their policy views and votes.

The Washington Post has called Rogers “the most feared man on [the] Hill” because of his accurate track record.

“Morning Joe” Outs Graham

 

From “John Heilemann Makes Lindsey Graham Joke on ‘Morning Joe;’ Edited Out of 8am Reair,” Chris Ariens, TVNewser:

Just after 6am, on “Morning Joe” this morning, Joe, Mika and guest John Heilemann were talking about yesterday’s New York Times article about “the three amigos” Senators John McCain, Joe Lieberman, and Lindsey Graham….

With Lieberman leaving the Senate, McCain and Graham have brought in another “amigo” Senator Kelly Ayotte.  That prompted Heilemann to make a bad joke, at the expense of Graham:

Heilemann: They need a third amigo at all times. So now they have — now two of the three are women — now at least one of the three are women.

That drew hysterical laughter from Scarborough who had to turn his chair around.  Mika took over and brought in Andrea Mitchell as Scarborough and Heilemann composed themselves.

The line was edited out of a re-air at 8amET.

Emphasis added.


It’s Interesting…

It’s interesting that on anything related to science (climate change, whether people are born gay, whether a fertilized egg is a person), the GOP  insists on imposing  fundamentalist Christian views on everyone.

But when it comes to economic policy, they have turned to an atheist — Ayn Rand — who preached unregulated capitalism, an unfettered free market that is as extreme to many of us as the GOP’s theocratic policies.

That’s why I don’t understand today’s GOP bravado that Mitt was a lousy candidate, but Paul Ryan will do just great in 2016.  He’s with Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock on abortion, and with Rand on economics.  He’s the personification of what lost last night.

Karl Rove says that this country is still center right.  Even if that’s the case, his party is not center right, it is now far, far right.  As the GOP has moved more to the right, the Dems have not moved equally left, so they are now the more centrist  — and saner-seeming — party.

I would say this is a centrist country, that tilts left or right depending on the issue and how far each party is from the center.  If politics in America is played between the 20-yard lines, the GOP is out in the parking lot, with very few young or female or minority folks at its sad little tailgate party.

 

More Good News

Crazy Congressman Allen West of Florida lost to Patrick Murphy.

Ignorant Congressman Joe Walsh of Illinois, who opposed a “life of the mother” exception to an abortion ban because he said women’s lives are never threatened by pregnancy, lost to Iraq War vet Tammy Duckworth, who lost both her legs while serving as a helicopter pilot there.

And Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin will become the first openly gay member of the U. S. Senate, having defeated Tommy Thompson.  I was thinking of you, Butters, when I wrote “openly.”

Is this a great country or what?

Time for a Nate Silver Fix

Nate has become a combination blankie/pint of Haagen Daz for me.

He’s projecting that Obama will get 299 electoral votes on November 6, and Mitt will get 239.

He gives Obama a 77.4% chance of winning, and Mitt a 22.6% chance.

The right is so infuriated with Nate that they’ve labelled him with the worst insult they can think of — they’re not challenging his mathematical model, they’re calling him gay.  This comes from the paranoid nut job who started UnSkewedPolls.com.

Ravi Released

Dharun Ravi has been released after serving only 20 days of his way-too-light 30-day sentence, after his filming of his gay Rutgers roommate, Tyler Clementi, resulted in Clementi’s committing suicide.

Ravi will not be deported back to India, which is a shame, since we have enough native-born homophobes in this country and really don’t need any more.

Mitt Up in Florida

A new Quinnipiac poll shows Mitt beating President Obama in Florida, 47 to 41.

Obama can lose Florida and still win — he just won’t win as big as his last time.  Everyone knows this election will be much closer.

With its older electorate, Florida is a state where Obama’s support for gay marriage will probably hurt him.  He already does poorly among older voters, and this didn’t help.

The unemployment rate in Florida for April was 8.7%, down for the tenth straight month, but still higher than the national rate.

Dharun Ravi Gets Measly 30 Days

When Tyler Clementi, a gay Rutgers student, discovered that his roommate, Dharun Ravi, had been spying on him with a webcam when he was engaged in romantic activity, he committed suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge.

Today Ravi, who could have gotten up to ten years in prison, was sentenced to a measly 30 days.  Clementi and his family deserve more than this token punishment.  Ravi should have gotten a much longer sentence, and he should be deported back to India.  We have enough awful people in this country we can’t get rid of, there’s no reason to keep the ones we don’t have to.  It is a privilege to live here, and Ravi obviously doesn’t appreciate that privilege.

Might Tyler Clementi eventually have killed himself without Ravi’s provocation?  No one knows.  But he wouldn’t have killed himself when he did.  The official cause of death is that Clementi jumped.  But I would say Ravi pushed him.